Trang Chủ - Kinh Văn - Ngoại Văn - Tư Tưởng - Khảo Cứu - Văn Học - Nghệ Thuật

The Song of the Realization of the Way (By Zen Master Trần Nhân Tông)

It is altogether disastrous
To be born with a human body.
Whoever understands this truth
Is called the Awakened.
Constantly meditating on this,
I have ceased clinging to the body.
With satisfaction in mind,
I can laugh uproariously.

All has been cut down—
Either respect for merit and fame
Or concern about wealth and prosperity;
How inferior they might appear—
the Ch’in and Han dynasties!
Content with life in poverty,
I have sought a place to discipline myself.
Secluded in the high mountains,
Hiding in the wilderness,
Where joyfully the gibbons
Make friends with me.
In deserted forests and mountains,
I let go of mind and body.
Peacefully I often occupy myself
Simply with cleaning the shrine
And worshiping the Buddha.
Reading sūtras, reciting the Buddhas’ names,
Praising saints, may I be able
To repay the Four Favors * of the Three Worlds!**
My mind is rid of defilements,
And my awakening is made bright;
Neither a shadow of distinction between “this” and “that,”
Nor a trace of conflict between I-ness and other-ness.
Secular ties are cut down;
Praises and blames are all thrown away.
Days and nights
I earnestly train my mind.
Standing in the midst of the world,
I am not moved by its constant transitions;
Sitting on the high mountain,
My mind is set free.
Following the Buddhas,
I vow to get perfectly awakened;
Singing the tune of Non-Arising,
I am at peace in the course of Zen training.
Everyone is aware
That everything is like a figment of imagination;
When awakened from one’s dream,
Tears would be found to flow.
Being aware that body is constant in change,
No other than a drifting cloud,
And everything in essence is empty,
Just like bubbles on the sea,
One would seclude oneself
In the quiet mountains
To concentrate all one’s mind on practice,
However poor life therein might be.
There would be no more interference
With others’ good or evil.
When mouth shut and ears covered,
Misfortune can cause no troubles at all.
Pacification of body and formation of life
Should be carried out in accord with one’s nature.
This body may be donated as offerings
Whether to birds or fishes.
No longer concerned about the body,
Whether it would be properly cared or not;
Basically composed of earth, water, fire and air,
It would work its way spontaneously.
Throughout the Void,
The dharma-body is constantly existent,
Greatly perfect and magnificently bright.
According to Zen doctrine,
The dharma-eye is once opened,
The Buddhist teaching will spread forever
Just as the echo of a sound made in a cave.
As far as students of the Way are concerned,
Though their number is great,
It is factually scarce for a bamboo
To turn into a dragon.
Owing to their confused mind,
North is mistaken for South.
Zen on the tip of a finger —
All is gone instantaneously.
The gātha reads,
A peaceful life with awakened mind in tranquility.
Into the shade of pines is blowing the cool breeze.
With a sūtra on the bed under a tree,
The two words “purity” and “release”
Are more precious than ten thousand coins of gold.

~ English translation by Phan Minh Trị~


----------------------
* Favors of the Triple Gem, masters and parents, dharma-friends, all sentient beings.
** Skt., kāmadhātu (World of Desire), rūpadhātu (World of Form), arūpyadhātu (Formless World).

Không có nhận xét nào: